Saturday, August 11, 2012

Dear mother nature . . .

 I saw this on Pinterest a while back and it made me laugh because I think this every month.  From the time I was 18 years old I knew I would have a hysterectomy.  It was never a question of if, only a matter of when. On Tuesday it finally happened and I canceled my monthly subscription with mother nature :)  I know no one really wants to hear about my menstrual cycles but this is my blog so I'm going to write about how I got to this point.  I have endured very painful periods for most of my life. Up until a few years ago they would come twice a month.  I started seeing doctors about this when I was 13 years old and their answer was always birth control which I tried over and over again but it never worked. As I got older I continued to see doctors off and on, they would give me birth control which continued to never work. I guess I should have pushed harder for them to investigate a little more but I kind of lost faith in OB/GYN's because unless you where pregnant they just said to use the birth control and take Motrin for the pain.  They were never really interested in looking at the why to all the problems.  When we started seeing fertility doctors they saw that my ovaries where touching which is a classic sign of sever endometriosis but they didn't want to investigate further into it, they just wanted to give me more medication to make my ovaries produce more eggs. So finally about three months ago I went to a new OB/GYN and requested a hysterectomy. She,  like all the others, suggested another form of birth control,  an IUD. I decided to give it a try. It was in for about 5 days and it caused so much pain for me I had them take it out. I then made an appointment with the surgeon.  After the surgery on Tuesday the surgeon came out to talk to my husband and told him "she was a mess in there".  from hip bone to hip bone everything was fused together by the endometriosis.  My ovaries where in pretty bad shape and if I was older he would have taken them out.  The surgeon had a student with him and was glad she was in on the case before mine so he could show her what the normal anatomy looked like because what they saw in me, nothing was recognizable.   My ovaries, and my fallopian tubes were all fused together with my uterus. My fallopian tubes were all bent and twisted different ways.  He scraped some cysts off my ovaries and there was also some endometriosis on my colon which he cleaned off.  So as much as no one wants to hear how bad it was I was glad he at least found something and there was a reason for all my pain and problems over the years. That it just wasn't in my head.  It also helped me have more peace over my decision to do this.  Although I will be recovering for a few more weeks I am excited to be free of my menstrual cycles and how much they controlled my life!
Photobucket

No comments: