Monday, July 30, 2012

Adoption Scam - My Story

I write this in hope that anyone out there who is hoping to adopt will be informed about this adoption scammer and, if they do have contact with her, they will have more of my experience which was very brief and not a lot of emotions where involved than have to go through what others have gone through.  I also ask anyone who reads this to share it on your blog and on Facebook to help spread the word.

About three or four months ago I read these two posts http://www.therhouse.com/dirty-rotten-adoption-scammer-the-story-of-t-a/ and http://www.therhouse.com/dirty-rotten-adoption-scammer-the-confrontation/ on the www.rhouse.com blog.  They are basically about this family's experience with a girl who gets in contact through e-mail with couples hoping to adopt and leads them on that she is pregnant and wants to place her baby for adoption.  There is no baby and in the end she will tell them either she miscarried the baby, decided to parent, decided to place with another family or the baby died after birth.  Most of the contact is through e-mails, which are full of drama, but a couple have met her and taken her to dinner.  She also makes up other names and tells the families she has another friend who is pregnant and looking to place and then e-mails them as another person from a different e-mail.  Again full of drama.  These posts tell how this family called her on the scam and confronted her about it.  The full name of the scammer is not given in these posts just the initials T.A. But I do believe one of the posts does say her name is Taryn and she has red hair.

Now fast forward to about two weeks ago.  I was talking to my brother and he asked if I had talked to Kari (the nanny who works for my brother).  I hadn't, and he told me that she was in contact with an old friend who lives in Utah who knows a couple of girls who are pregnant and looking to place their babies for adoption.  I love hearing that!  When I got home I sent Kari a text asking her about these girls who were considering adoption for their babies.  She let me know that it was a friend of hers who had seen the post on Facebook that I put out about a month or so ago about hoping to adopt and she had contacted Kari letting her know she knew of a couple of girls considering adoption for their babies.  I told Kari to give her my blog and e-mail address.  Kari then told me that she hadn't talked to this friend for a long time and didn't know how reliable she was.  I then told Kari about the adoption scammer posts I had read.  She hoped it was nothing like that.

A few days later Kari text me to let me know that she had heard from her friend again and she had shared my e-mail and blog with the girls considering adoption.  Again Kari told me she had a bad feeling about the whole thing.  I told her not to worry, that sometimes these things don't work out and that's ok. We continued to text and I asked her how well she knew this girl and made sure I understood that this friend wasn't pregnant but that it was this friend's friend that was.  Then I asked Kari what her friend's name was.  She told me it was Taryn Allred.  Oh wow, my heart started racing.  I quickly told Kari about the posts I had read and she started reading them while we were texting.  It was the same girl!  Kari and I were both in shock.  Kari said she was going to call her on it.  I told her no, let her e-mail me and we will see what she has to say.

The next day I got an e-mail from her but under a different name.  It asked a lot of questions about our adoption with Carter.  She said she worked in a hair salon in Clinton Utah.  The e-mail sounded a lot like the ones in the posts above.  I e-mailed her back answering some of her questions and asking her what the name of the salon was that she worked at.  When she e-mailed me back she told me the name of the salon.  Kari and I quickly looked it up and it didn't exist which we knew it wouldn't.  After the second e-mail I e-mailed her letting her know what I knew about the scams from the Rhouse blog.  I didn't hear anything back.

A few days later I e-mailed the author of the Rhouse blog and thanked her for her posts about the scammer so I wouldn't have to go through what other couples went through with this scammer.  She e-mailed me back letting me know she had also heard from another couple who had been scammed for about a year and a half by Taryn.  She also sent me the link to this girls experience.  It is very long but it tugged at my heart to hear all the heartache of what she had to go through.  After I read it I cried!  Our experience could have been so much worse and so much more involved and I am so thankful it wasn't because of what I knew.

So far there have been 13 couples who have been scammed by Taryn.  So again I ask you to share this post on your blog and/or on Facebook to get the word out so that other couples hoping to adopt won't have to go through what some have had to go through!

Photobucket

1 comment:

Laney said...

This is ridiculous! Thanks for sharing. I'll post a link on FB for my friends and family to see. I don't know how people live with themselves taking advantage of people like that.