Sunday, August 3, 2014

Emily Lyn


Meet our sweet Emily Lyn. She was born Friday July 18th at 2:53am and weighed 10lbs 2oz and was 21 1/2 inches long. The week she was born was a stressful one. So many emotions go through your head and your heart when it comes to adoption. This was something we have been waiting for for about 4 years and now it was here and we were nervous. I think mostly even though everything has been going really well thus far with the adoption it is always in the back of your mind is it going to be ok. Is this really going to happen? Emily's due date was the Monday before on the 14th. Her birth mom had a Dr. appointment that day and let me know that they were going to schedule for her to be induced that week. Later that day she let me know they were going to induce her on that Wednesday. Tuesday I tried to keep my mind and my heart busy. Carter and I went swimming with cousins and I tried to get stuff done around the house. It's hard to focus when your mind is going a million miles a minute. Wednesday morning came and her birth mom let me know that the hospital had called her in the morning letting her know that her induction had been pushed back and they would call her in the afternoon. I had forgotten that is how they do inductions. Ok, not a problem I can do this breath and stay calm. I tried really hard to not stress eat that day although that is what I wanted to do. The afternoon came and her birth mom let me know the hospital still hadn't called. That evening James and I went to see a movie. We both needed something mind numbing to do. We saw "Blended" which was actually a funny movie. After we got out of the movie Emily's birth mom let me know the hospital had just called and she was on her way there then and she would keep us updated. So many emotions going through my head and I cried. I cried for the whole situation and I cried for her. I knew this was going to be hard for her and I didn't want her to hurt. I hoped she could feel how much we loved her! We got home and picked up Carter from our neighbor's house.  We got home and Carter and I went to bed. I know how could I sleep. Well I was tired so I slept. We didn't hear anything all night. The next morning I learned that at the hospital they had let her sleep and they were starting the induction in the morning. Through the day I received a few texts letting me know how things were going. Again so many prayers that everything would go well with the delivery and her birth mom would feel of our love. That evening baby Emily still hadn't been born. James, Carter and I went out for some ice cream and then came home to bed. Again how could we sleep. Not sure but we did. At about 3am we got a text letting us know that baby Emily had been born and that her and mom were doing great! We were so excited! Emily's birth mom had chosen for us to come to the hospital only when the baby was going to be discharged. She sent us pictures and videos through the next day and we were very grateful for that. After talking with our social worker later that day she let us know that it would probably be Sunday before we could bring Emily home. I needed something to do to keep me busy. My family was having a family reunion on Mt Graham with all of the Green family and we considered going up there for one day just to pass the time. But I kept feeling like we needed to stay. Thank goodness we did. Later that afternoon Emily's birth mom let us know that the Pediatrician just needed to check the baby one more time on Saturday and then they could discharge her. James, Carter and I did some shopping the rest of the day and then Virginia and Megan came that evening. They brought Carter a treasure chest with clothes, toys, food and a book. They brought Emily one similar only in pink with clothes and baby stuff. We were all excited. The next morning we heard from Emily's birth grandmother let us know that they didn't have a check out time yet but the Pediatrician was there checking the baby. We got up and started our day not knowing when they would call and let us know when we could bring Emily home. Finally our social worker let us know that they wanted us there at 4pm in the afternoon. Again James and I needed something to pass the time. We left Carter with Virginia and Megan and we went to watch a movie. (We love watching movies!) We saw "Planet of the Apes" a three hour movie was a good way to pass the time. We got out of the movie and headed for the hospital. We met our social worker in the lobby and then all went up together to her room. We walked in and Emily's birth mother was holding her. I gave her a hug and then we both cried. I can never describe the love I have for our birth mothers. They are so amazing to me and I love them with all of my heart! She asked if we wanted to hold Emily. She was perfect with dark hair and chubby cheeks. A neck roll with her hair longer than it. Her perfect lips and nose. Her beautiful eyes! She was perfect! I held her and kissed on her and then James held her and kissed on her. We were so grateful! The hospital made us watch a discharge video. They wanted us to watch the baby part so the nurse went over the discharge paperwork while the instruction about the moms played but then when she was done with the paperwork and we signed it and the video was teaching about breastfeeding so we watched that then the nurse came in and said we didn't have to watch the rest. So basically we learned how to breastfeed haha! James went down to bring the car to the front of the hospital and I helped get all of the stuff packed up to take down to the lobby. Emily's birth mom held her while she was pushed in a wheel chair down to the lobby to the exit. She cried and I cried with her. When she was ready we put Emily in her car seat. We hugged her birth mom goodbye and we headed home. Although that wasn't really goodbye. We choose to have an open adoption with our children's birth mothers. It is something we cherish and we knew we would see her birth mom again the next week. We drove home and met Carter, Megan and Virginia outside. Baby Emily brought Carter a big fire truck that he was way excited about. He thought baby sister was cute but was more interested in the fire truck. Carter is still adjusting to having a little sister but we love her and are so thankful that she is part of our family!
I wish I could really explain my feelings when it comes to adoption. I cherish with all my heart that my children have come to me through adoption. I have a love for their birth mom's that I can't ever explain but is nothing like anything I have ever felt before. They inspire me to be a better person, a better mother and they teach me the true meaning of love, courage and strength. I feel so blessed to be a part of this wonderful world of adoption and I feel so blessed to have Emily in our family! We love her!

1 comment:

Laney said...

What a sweet post! I'm so glad that you survived all the stress. My friend Jenny describes adoption as bittersweet because there is pain involved on both sides, but that it deepens the love for the child. Emily is a lucky girl! She's so beautiful and I can't wait to watch her grow through pictures. I'm so so happy for you and James!