Thursday, January 29, 2009

Letting The Cows Out


OK so you might have had to be here for this one to think it was funny but it is one of those experiences where some one should of been video taping it to send to funniest home videos. To understand the story you have to understand how our property is set up. We have panels set up to fence off one acre for the cows and the goat. Within that acre there is a smaller pin we keep the goat in so she can't get out. On Tuesday night James put the cows in the smaller pin to keep the goat company. Wednesday morning I noticed they were low on water and since I can't carry the big bucket from the house to the pin I decided that I could carry at least one pitcher of water out there. So I carried it out there and first opened the gate to the fenced off acre to get to the smaller pin and dumped the water over the fence into their water bucket. While I was doing this I decided that I didn't want the cows in the smaller pin but wanted them to roam around on the acre. At first I didn't think I would be able to get the cows out and keep the goat in but decided it shouldn't be to hard because the goat is pretty good about following me where ever I go. So I opened the gate to the smaller pin and did good keeping the goat in but took a while to get the cows out. I got the black cow out first and then started on the white one. After the cows were out I was trying to get the goat back in and then noticed I had left the gate open to the acre and the cows went right out that gate and started eating on the hay. I didn't know how I was going to get them back in the gate. I remembered James said that the cows are scared of you so you can shew them so I tried that but they did not go toward the gate to go back into the acre and I realized that is probably the last place they will go. Then I remembered that James had said the cows really like the grain we give them. So I got a handful of grain and led the goat back to the small pin and got her locked up. Not to hard. The cows were a lot harder. The black one I could get to at least follow me to the gate with the grain but then when I tried to get her to go through it she didn't want anything to do with it and ran back to the hay. I tried dumping some of the grain by the gate so they would at least start eating that closer to the gate but then my little dog Hanna would go and eat all the grain I had just dumped before I could get the cows over there. After multiple tries I finally got the black one in the gate and left it eating grain (with Hanna helping). The white and black cow wasn't as interested in the grain as the black one so no matter what I did she wouldn't follow me. I resorted to just keeping her away for the hay which wasn't very easy but eventually worked because then she followed me with the grain and after a few times of running off when she got to the gate finally she went in and I got the gate closed. It was too funny.

No comments: