Thursday, January 8, 2009

Oh The Joys Of Speaking Spanish

So I was in Quiznos the other day and there were 2 Hispanic girls working there. One asked if she could help me and took my order, in English, and proceeded to fill my order. Half way through her work the phone rang and the second girl answered it and told the first girl, in English, that the phone was for her. The second girl began to finish my order asking me, in English, what else I wanted on my sandwiches while the first girl talked on the phone, in English. The first girl then hung up the phone and started ringing up my order and started talking to the second girl, in Spanish. I really wanted to say at that time, "I still understand you so you might as well just speak English! " I thought it was too funny.

This also reminds me of being in Tucson not too long ago and stopping at a gas station to get some water. When I waked in there was a Hispanic family of three and the cashier who was also Hispanic so I was the only white girl in the store. As I waited in line to pay for my water I noticed the family of three was trying to buy gas and only spoke Spanish and the cashier didn't speak any Spanish so couldn't understand what they wanted. So needless to say the white girl stepped in and translated for the two Hispanics. Again too funny!

No comments: