What do you do when the job you really wanted is taken from you but the job you never thought you would want is handed to you? Five years ago I graduated from nursing school and started right away in pediatrics. I started at Phoenix Children's Hospital and from the beginning have loved every minute of working and taking care of kids. After gaining the experience I did at PCH working with the sickest kids, I knew I would have no problem finding a job anywhere else in Pediatrics. After PCH I went to Denver Children's Hospital and then to Banner Children's Hospital where I continued to build my knowledge base and even expand a little from the kids to the preemies in the NICU. This last year however I decided to change the pace of my work. After being taught on a daily basis in the big children's hospitals I chose to come to a smaller pediatric unit of only 11 beds at a Banner facility close to where I live. I started as a traveler and then went staff just a few months ago. Even though most of the time it is pretty slow on this unit I have enjoyed it completely. I love the people I work with and the environment here. I have even expanded my knowledge base some to Postpartum, not taking care of the mothers but taking care of the new born babies. It's not my favorite place but was something different for me. However, this past month the thought crossed my mind a few times that learning to take care of the moms wouldn't be too bad, but didn't think too seriously about it. Well on January 14th our managers called an emergency staff meeting and let us know our unit will be closing and all of our positions will be terminated. We kind of saw it coming so it wasn't too much of a surprise. I mean a hospital can't really make a whole lot of money when they only have 1 or 2 patients a night sometimes. What was the real shocker is that it will be closing on January 30th. Which upset a lot of us because we feel they should of given us more notice. They say they are going to help us find other jobs but how they are doing it I don't find very helpful. Well after the meeting my manager pulls me aside and lets me know that they are offering me a job in Postpartum if I want it. My jaw dropped, I have no real experience in Postpartum and there a few other nurses who have real experience in that area and are more fit for that position than I am so why are they offering me the job? I told her I would think about it. It's a hard decision for me. Pediatrics will always be my first love and leaving it will be very hard from me. I know I will miss it every day. But at a time like this how do you say no to a job that is dropped in your lap? So the decision I have to make know is do I take the Postpartum job or try and get into the infant/toddler unit over at Banner Children's?
Thursday, January 15, 2009
What do you do when . . . .
What do you do when the job you really wanted is taken from you but the job you never thought you would want is handed to you? Five years ago I graduated from nursing school and started right away in pediatrics. I started at Phoenix Children's Hospital and from the beginning have loved every minute of working and taking care of kids. After gaining the experience I did at PCH working with the sickest kids, I knew I would have no problem finding a job anywhere else in Pediatrics. After PCH I went to Denver Children's Hospital and then to Banner Children's Hospital where I continued to build my knowledge base and even expand a little from the kids to the preemies in the NICU. This last year however I decided to change the pace of my work. After being taught on a daily basis in the big children's hospitals I chose to come to a smaller pediatric unit of only 11 beds at a Banner facility close to where I live. I started as a traveler and then went staff just a few months ago. Even though most of the time it is pretty slow on this unit I have enjoyed it completely. I love the people I work with and the environment here. I have even expanded my knowledge base some to Postpartum, not taking care of the mothers but taking care of the new born babies. It's not my favorite place but was something different for me. However, this past month the thought crossed my mind a few times that learning to take care of the moms wouldn't be too bad, but didn't think too seriously about it. Well on January 14th our managers called an emergency staff meeting and let us know our unit will be closing and all of our positions will be terminated. We kind of saw it coming so it wasn't too much of a surprise. I mean a hospital can't really make a whole lot of money when they only have 1 or 2 patients a night sometimes. What was the real shocker is that it will be closing on January 30th. Which upset a lot of us because we feel they should of given us more notice. They say they are going to help us find other jobs but how they are doing it I don't find very helpful. Well after the meeting my manager pulls me aside and lets me know that they are offering me a job in Postpartum if I want it. My jaw dropped, I have no real experience in Postpartum and there a few other nurses who have real experience in that area and are more fit for that position than I am so why are they offering me the job? I told her I would think about it. It's a hard decision for me. Pediatrics will always be my first love and leaving it will be very hard from me. I know I will miss it every day. But at a time like this how do you say no to a job that is dropped in your lap? So the decision I have to make know is do I take the Postpartum job or try and get into the infant/toddler unit over at Banner Children's?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment